Electric Sub Panel Change or Installation is a Job for the Experts
Whenever a home or business owner needs to add extra circuit capacity to an existing electrical panel, the best course of action is to call a professional electrician. An electric sub panel is connected to the main electric panel, provided the main panel does not need replacing, and it makes powering the new addition more straightforward. It is a complex process and several factors need to be taken into consideration to make sure the job is done correctly, safely. Our Northern Virginia electricians have a quarter of a century of experience in electric sub panel change or installation, and we always put our customers’ safety and satisfaction first.
Why Would I Need an Electric Sub Panel Change or Installation?
An electric sub panel provides an extension of electrical service from the main electric panel in the home or office. These are particularly useful where a large amount of energy is needed away from the main building: in finished basements with entertainment systems or wet bars, detached garages or workshops, or new additions to a home or office. An electric sub panel installation may also be required outdoors for hot tubs or other spa equipment, yard equipment or other high-powered industrial or commercial equipment. Naturally, an electric sub panel change may be required if you already have one, but it is not functioning properly.
Three Important Things to Understand about an Electric Sub Panel Installation:
- An electric sub panel change does not add more electrical power coming into a home or office; it does, however, provide more efficient and easy-to-manage electrical service running from the main electric panel to other areas of the home.
- Installing an electric sub panel helps when there is not enough space for extra circuit breakers within the main electric panel to handle the extended electrical needs of the home or business. An electric sub panel installation creates extra room for new circuit breakers in a separate physical location.
- An electric sub panel change or installation clarifies and simplifies the electrical service in a home or office by providing an electric panel for separate physical areas that need heavy doses of electric service, such as a kitchen, a workshop, a home office, garage or basement.
Bill Root came to my house to provide a free estimate to replace our electrical panel. During the home inspection as we were purchasing our new home, our home inspector raised safety concerns. Bill made an honest assessment and recommended there was no need to change the panel and that the home inspector was only bringing the issue to my attention. I appreciated his honesty.
Other Important Electric Sub Panel Change Details:
- The size of the sub panel depends on the application. For example, backyard sheds or finished basements generally need a small sub panel in the 30 to 60 amps range. This covers needs of yard equipment, light power tools, leaf blowers, portable saws, home entertainment systems or wet bars.
- Detached garages, heavy duty workshops or pool houses usually need more power. In that case, we would install sub panels in the 60-100 amp range. This powers higher-demand equipment such as compressors, welders, air conditioners, post lifts, spa equipment, etc.
- Therefore, an electric sub panel installation can be configured anywhere from 30 amps, 240 volts up to 100 amps, 240 volts.
For safety and quality reasons, electric sub panel change or installation should always be done by a professional electrician. Here at Root Electric, we can get the job done right the first time and always ensure your safety.
Call us at (703) 494- 3989 today if you are expanding your home or office and need an electric sub panel installation!