Electricity powers so much in our homes that we often take for granted just how tricky and dangerous it can be. That’s why, whenever you have a home improvement project or a repair that involves the electrical systems in your home—even if it’s just something deceptively simple as replacing a light fixture or updating the outlets in your bathroom—it’s absolutely essential to call a residential electrician. This will keep you, your family and your home safe from accidents, keep your insurance company happy and ensure that you get a high quality service done for your home. So how do you find the best electrician in town? Follow these tips on how to select an electrical contractor and don’t get burned:
1. How long have they been in the business?
The best electrician in town will likely be one that has several years of experience to show for it. Of course, you don’t want to disparage the new kids on the block, but electrical work isn’t easy, and it can be very dangerous if not done right. If a residential electrician has been in business for several years, this gives you an indication that they’ve earned the trust of their customers over a considerable amount of time and over the course of hundreds of jobs. Root Electric has been putting our customers’ safety and work quality first for nearly 3 decades in Northern Virginia.
2. Look for ratings and references.
Asking friends and family is a good place to start when selecting an electrical contractor. But it’s also a good idea to go online to independent consumer-review websites like Angie’s List and Best Pick Reports to look for a wide range of reviews and data about each residential electrician on your list. Also look to see if they have earned awards in their field. For example, Root Electric has won the Angie’s List Super Service Award and the Best Electricians Pick by EBSCO Research for multiple years now for stellar service as residential electricians in Northern Virginia. While looking through these references and resources, note the following:
- How good is their safety record? This is absolutely the top concern for any electrical work done in your home. Reviews and listings on those consumer review websites should clarify this for you, as well as the references you ask for during the bidding process.
- Are they licensed, bonded and insured? This is an absolute must because it certifies that their contractor and business licenses are current with the proper local authorities and that they carry insurance for their workers, general liability and that all their vehicles and equipment are also insured.
- Do they apply the most recent and highest National Electrical Code requirements? While building and electrical codes change all the time, you probably won’t hear about it unless you’re specifically looking for that kind of news. Residential electricians must be up to the latest codes in order to be licensed, bonded and insured in Northern Virginia.
When considering how to select an electrical contractor, look at the list of services they provide. It should be broad and comprehensive. The best electrician in town will be able to safely upgrade your home’s entire electrical system as well as they can replace a light fixture or install a ceiling fan. Root Electric can do all of those things and so much more!
4. How do they handle the bidding process?
Transparency is everything during the bidding process. Your residential electrician candidates should spend ample time researching your particular home and electrical project before you ever receive an estimate. The estimate should also be extremely detailed and include every activity and cost before you sign anything so that you know what the final price will be before you hire. Root Electric is famous for its thorough, transparent and detailed estimate process because we never want our customers to be surprised, and we want them to know exactly what they’re paying for up front.
We hope you’ve found these tips on how to select an electrical contractor for your home helpful! And if you do have any home improvement or repair needs that involve electricity, please contact Root Electric at (703) 494-3989 to request a free, and extremely detailed quote on your project!
REQUEST A FREE QUOTE
Satisfaction / Safety First Since 1986